I remember my uni days in Bristol, especially on those cold nights when I couldn’t be bovvered to put sensible walking shoes on and step outside onto the icy pathways, where I would delve into my cheat pack of frozen oven chips… which I would proceed to cover in home made sesame oil (I had a Korean housemate whose mother shipped this stuff to him by the crate!), rosemary, salt and pepper then coat them completely in Heinz ketchup when they were ready. Let this not fool you: it wasn’t the chips I craved, it was the ketchup. Weird, eh?
Anyway, since I’ve been back in Malaysia, I hardly ever eat home made chips anymore. This is probably because food is almost always prepared when I get home, or chips are so cheap and readily available from everywhere. The difference is: they’re always shoestring fries. Me no likey.
So last month when my parents decided to throw a barbecue, I decided to prepare the carbs and instead of frozen oven chips I’d do it right. Now that I am older and wiser… LOL right.
Easy & Highly Addictive Oven Chips
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch sticks/wedges
- 2 large sweet potatoes, same as above
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- A sprig of spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chicken stock cube, dissolved in hot water
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Soak the potato wedges in a large bowl of hot water for 10 minutes, drain the potatoes then pat them dry
- Put the potatoes back into the bowl and toss them in olive oil, rosemary, spring onions, garlic, chicken stock, and pepper
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a baking tray, cover lightly with a piece of foil and pop in the oven for up to 5 minutes (the foil will trap the moisture in)
- Remove the foil, then continue to bake for another 20 minutes or until they’re a nice golden brown, then flip the potatoes with a spatula and continue to bake for another 10 minutes on the other side
- Serve hot with an extra sprinkling of sea salt and/or pepper
I’m babysitting my siblings this weekend as my parents will be out of town, so I’m definitely going to prepare this dish with a side of grilled chicken breasts or something. Who cares, this goes with everything! lol
Easy peasy recipe, and I guarantee that you won’t go back to frozen oven chips once you’ve tasted this.
Have a good weekend, friends, much love from the Happy Hufflepuff x