Alright, a lot of friends asked for a recipe for homemade graham crackers. And there are plenty online, but I’m happy to oblige and share the one that I used. Here in Malaysia, I’ve never found graham crackers in stores, and so when recipes call for them I usually substituted them with McVities Digestives in the past. And that’s fine too!
A friend of mine said that she has used Tiger biscuits to replace graham crackers in a cheesecake crust before and that it turned out delicious. I don’t doubt her, those biscuits are so good! So to other Malaysians looking for a sub but not willing to bake their own graham crackers (cos ain’t nobody got the time), get yourself a pack of Tiger biscuits.
But I’ll admit to a curiosity to what graham crackers would taste like in a cheesecake or pie crust. And also it looked kinda easy, and the ingredients are all things that I like. So why not?
- 220g all purpose flour
- 150g whole meal flour
- 50g bran/ground rolled oats/flaxseed meal/ wheat germ (oats paling accessible to us in Malaysia probably, though supermarkets in KL do carry bran and all the other things listed)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 250g butter
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 40g golden syrup
1. Mix all the dry ingredients and set aside
2. Beat the butter, sugar and golden syrup together until it’s pale and fluffy
3. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl, then mix on low until soft dough forms
4. Divide the dough into two, roll it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper, slice with a knife to get them into squares or rectangles
5. Chill the shaped dough in the fridge for 15 mins or freezer for 10. At this time preheat the oven to 160C/fan
6. Bake the crackers for 15 mins until golden and slightly crisp on outside. Cool on the tray and store in airtight container
I made a batch of these and used only a small portion for the cheesecake base in the previous post, but these cookies are amaaaaazing with a cup of tea or coffee. Hope you guys give this a shot, it’s super low effort/high reward!