A few nights ago as I was endlessly scrolling through Instagram due to my pregnancy induced insomnia… I came across pics of Famous Amos cookies and BAM! Craving triggered!
Good thing my SIL, Nina, and I have been experimenting with various recipes that claim to be FA cookie dupes. So I whipped up a batch yesterday afternoon and chilled the dough in the fridge overnight to let it build flavour before baking them today.
I also now have to hide them from my husband cos he’s on a diet, and also cos I don’t want to share these. There’s a small container of them at my WFH work station, but the problem is, I think I tossed back like 15 of these tiny things over the course of a 1 hour call today!
Ok I think I’ve sold them enough – here’s the recipe!
Crispy Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Original recipe from ButterMilkPantry
- 150g unsalted butter, room temp
- 175g caster sugar
- 80g light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 tsp vanilla extract – but I only had bean paste on hand)
- 20g Horlicks powder
- 1 large egg
- 270g all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 200g semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey’s)
- Beat the butter, sugars, salt, vanilla, and Horlicks powder with the paddle attachment of your stand mixer until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and beat until thoroughly combined and the mixture is pale
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda then add to the batter in two parts, just beating enough to combine. Do not overbeat or you’ll get a very tough cookie (good in people, not in cookies)
- Cover the dough and store in the fridge for 24 hours (max 3 days).
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 170C/fan and shape the cookies – 1 tsp per cookie, pinched high (like in the picture) so they don’t bake super flat
- Bake for 13-15 mins, then remove and cool on a wire rack. Once they’re fully cooled, store in an airtight container or they will lose their crispiness! Or you know, be like me and just eat them all before it gets to that point