love of my life,
only wish I could
write a better ode.
The traffic was sooooo horrendous coming home from work last night, even though I had stayed an extra half hour in the hopes that traffic would ease up by then. But nooooooo, resistance is futile. You will get
chlamydia and die stuck in traffic, and want to remove your brain from your ear with the windshield wiper.
So about halfway home, with my petrol running dangerously close to the red zone, I took a last minute detour to the mall. I just needed to stretch my legs, and breathe, and basically get my retail therapy done cos I was going a little insane. I bought a new work dress, lots of breakfast stuff (bran, cereal, coffee, instant oats, marmite, etc) and fresh produce. One of which were blueberries!
When I finally did make it home, at 9.30 pm, I wasted no time getting the ingredients ready. And for a little added dose of happiness, I went with brown butter. It felt like just the thing to get the job done.
So here we have a batch of happy-making Brown Butter Blueberry muffins!
- 1/3 cup of brown butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh/frozen (thawed) blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare your muffin pans
- To brown butter, place the required amount in a saucepan and melt down, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn. When the butter aroma begins to rise, and you see little brown specks appear in the melted down butter, remove from heat and set aside for use
- In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla
- Fold in the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Stir in the cooled brown butter
- Finally stir in the blueberries
- Fill your muffin liners 3/4 of the way up, and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before nomming